With Skippy talking about road trips and such things it brings to mind that there are several places out there with some sort of attention grabbing gimmick. Some are things like dinosaurs in front of gas stations, others are simply the names of the place. Below are a few names I have come across (and their locations when I can remember them) in my travels. All of these places are reputable places of business that are not what their names imply.
- Skinny Dick’s Halfway Inn (Alaska) (Hotel and Lounge)
- Grandma’s Shaved Beaver (Washington) (A restaurant specializing in local game animals)
- St. Louis Steel Erection (Missouri) (Construction company)
- Hore’s House (British Columbia) (Bed and Breakfast)
- The Notty Shop (Alaska) (A souvenir shop and Ice Cream/coffee bar)
- Knockin’ Boots (Oklahoma) (Obviously it’s a custom boot maker)
And then there are of course the message boards. You have probably seen several of them that when taken out of context would be extremely naughty. Probably the most famous one is a church sign with the message “The most powerful position in the world is on your knees.” There are many others and here are just a few that I have seen:
- On a taxidermists shop: “Father’s Day Special – Wives, bring ’em in and we’ll skin and stuff ’em for you!”
- On a sign shared by a grocery store and lingerie shop: “Special Half Off Sale! Come see our melons!”
- On a sign in the middle of a desert: “Caution! No Water Ahead!”
- On a church sign: “Laying on your back and yelling “Oh My God” is not the same as going to Church.”
And finally, as I was driving off a military installation there was a sign that simply said “Speed Hump Ahead,” not even 25 feet later there were two deer going at it hot and heavy. This distracted me so much that I actually bottomed out the back end of my truck and the actual speed hump.
Please feel free to add as many places and names as you would like to this!